Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Bubur Ayam/Chicken Porridge


This bubur ayam/chicken porridge really bring me back home. I used to buy bubur ayam for breakfast from a traveling vendor or street vendor. When I wasn´t feeling well, my mother often cooks this for me..... miss U.

Ingredients:
2 cups rice, cooked in rice cooker with some water until grains are tender
2 - 2,5 litres water
half of a whole chicken
7 cloves garlic, finely sliced, fried
1/2 - 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
3 cm ginger
salt to taste

directions: boil chicken with water then add ginger, fried garlics, pepper and salt, let them simmer until the chicken is tender. Keep chicken broth. Fry chicken in hot cooking oil, deboned and shredded. Fold cooked rice into chicken broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer and gently stir until porridge is ready. Serve porridge with shredded fried chicken, cakwe/cakue, chili sambal, krupuk, fried shallots. Drops sweet soya sauce if you like.

16 comments:

Finla said...

Wow your picture is using so beautiful.
What programe are you using?
I am not a porridge fan

Rosie said...

What an amazing photo!! I have never heard of this dish before and its always great to keep learning!! Thanks for sharing :)

Rosie x

Little Corner of Mine said...

When I was not feeling well, my mom used to cook for me too. Now, I cook it for my kids/hubby when they are not feeling well. :) Love your chicken porridge, can be such a comfort food huh?

Unknown said...

wahahaha mbaaa di tempatku juga ada bubur kekekek bener2 kebetulan dehhh...

this time i added tofu, black beans and eggs haha

bener2 males nih aku

tigerfish said...

I always like chicken porridge!

Retno Prihadana said...

happy cook, rosie:Thank you
little corner of mine: yes, you´re right. I always like chicken porridge as a comfort food too.
mochachocolata rita: kita tukeran bubur aja yuuuk.
tigerfish: Tooossss, me too!

Salt N Turmeric said...

oh my. this week alone 3 ppl made porridge. i can eat porridge w sweet soy sauce or w dishes. either way, il have 2 bowls please. ;)

Lia said...

bayangin sarapan bubur duhhh enaknya

Retno Prihadana said...

salt&tumeric: you can have it, pick it up :))
Lia: jangan dibayangin Lia, ntar nggak kenyang...ayoook bikin :))

daphne said...

I used to have porridge every day for lunch-grandma said it was easier to eat. =) I love your version!

Elsye said...

mbakkk....pengen makan buryam...hihi, biasanya aku beli di tukang bubur yang suka lewat depan rumah...ihikkss jadi terkenang n ih..:P

East Meets West Kitchen said...

I miss my mom's chicken porridge too. I haven't tried adding fried garlic to mine before... will try yours soon.

Lore said...

Sounds and looks delicious :) The comfort that bubur ayam brings you is so close to the "smooth-healing" of a chicken soup!

Dwiana P said...

pagi2 coba dikasih tontonan bubur ayam...bikin perut ini tambah kriuk2 euy.

Retno Prihadana said...

Daphne: It´s easier to eat, but no longer....you´ll feel hungry again :)
elsye: samaaa...biasanya tinggal beli.
east meets west kitchen: have a try, I hope your enjoy it.
Lore: Yuupp. You´re right.
Dwiana: Iya tuh bunyinya kedengeran sampai sini :)

Unknown said...

There are so many delicious recipes on your lovely blog! Your chicken porridge looks so tasty and comforting. I would love to include your recipe in our pre-loaded Demy, the first and only digital recipe reader. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you're interested.

To find out more about the Demy, you can visit this site:
http://mydemy.com/

Thanks!